over 2 years ago
Post – Engineering Design Manager (Mechanical Engineering)
Location – Sittingbourne, Kent
Job Start Date – ASAP
We are the leading UK manufacturer of processing conveyor belts and conveyors. We manufacture in three countries and exports worldwide.
Engineering Design Manager
Reporting to the Managing Director the Engineering Design Manager is responsible for the management and the operation of all technical and engineering functions required to deliver a strategy and means to provide a superior product at a low cost by the application of suitable systems, technology and culture. The role requires a proven mechanical/production engineer with the motivation, drive and experience to lead our technical team in the design, development and reconfiguration of our production equipment and a bespoke range of conveyor systems.
Essential key skills would include:
- Past experience of leadership with strong communication skills.
- Best practice knowledge of Engineering Project Management and Quality Systems.
- Mechanical engineering design experience.
- A good knowledge of manufacturing and fabrication techniques.
- Very strong technical and execution capabilities with ability to solve technical problems.
- A flair for innovative ideas and design
- Experience using 3D CAD preferably AutoDesk Inventor.
- Knowledge of the H&S requirements of the Machinery Directive (CE marking).
- A team player
- Knowledge of regulations and design requirements for machines used in the food processing sector including materials suitable for contact with foodstuffs.
- Knowledge of ISO9001 and ISO18001.
Why is this a great opportunity?
In time the Engineering Design Manager will represent the company as a member of the International Technology team and will take an active role in developing the ongoing strategy for the continuous improvement of the manufacturing processes and product development leading to growth throughout the group.
It is expected that you will become the in-house expert for matters concerning legislation, certification, standards, good practice and directives related to machinery in the food manufacturing sector.
Duties and activities include:
- Provide technical / engineering support and advice to the production and sales departments and to other companies in the group where appropriate.
- Design, develop and manage production processes and a plant development strategy that considers the needs of the group and the impact of new and improved processes, technology and special machines.
- Maximise profitability by delivering cost reduction and greater efficiency. Providing product design and development resource to support local and group strategy including the realisation of new products.
- Lead the technical design team, scheduling work and resource.
- Design, reconfigure, draw and develop specialist conveyor systems.
- Liaise and provide technical support to sales and manufacturing teams.
- Project manage machine developments and conveyor systems through the company processes.
- Manage and maintain drawing data and records.
- Ensure that H&S and any hygienic requirements are met (CE approval).
- A mechanical engineering background.
- Proficient in the use of CAD.
- HNC, degree or equivalent in engineering.
Training and Development
A thorough induction will be given and on the job training will be ongoing.
The role demands a mechanical engineering background and the candidate will be proficient in the use of CAD and the production of detailed drawings.
Training, guidance and mentoring will be provided to extend knowledge of the requirements within the food manufacturing sector. Whilst there may be a requirement for some external training, the majority of training will be on the job and gained through experience.